Ditching the Ordinary to Work Extraordinary
Season 8 / Episode 5
Make it Thrive: The Company Culture Podcast
In this episode, I’m joined by Barry McNeil, the Managing Director of Work Extraordinary. Barry is a questioner; a challenger of the status quo; a disruptor of conventional thinking; a changemaker. Which is no surprise as to why we get on so well. He works with leadership and functional teams to explore why things happen the way they do, helping to surface the tensions in the underlying assumptions and rules that dominate how teams and organisations work. He believes that organisations can deliver outstanding impact and results to society if only we could unleash the creativity within their people and enable them to thrive at work. In this episode, Barry and I talk about what inspired his journey into new ways of working, and how you can shift your own company to a more agile way of working.
In this episode we cover;
- What inspired Barry’s journey into new ways of working
- How you can shift your own company to be more agile
Quotes from Barry;
- “If you want to start exploring alternative ways of working in your team it’s really important that you’re creating psychologically safe spaces, where people are able to have different viewpoints and bring in different conflict and tension.”
- “We don’t want to do disruption for the sake of disruption. It undermines all credibility.”
- “We need to help leaders, learn how to lead without ego.”
Resources mentioned in this podcast;
Barry is the Managing Director of Work Extraordinary, a boutique organisational design and transformation consultancy helping leaders design highly adaptive, participative organisations. He has over 20 years of consulting experience working extensively with leaders and organisations in the public and private sector; UK and global – to help make the experience of work more human and compassionate. He and his team of Changemakers at Work Extraordinary help leaders and organisations to adapt and evolve to these shifting pressures, to ensure we retain compassion in organisations and empower creativity through high levels of employee engagement and participation. Alongside Work Extraordinary, he is a Certified Semco Style Expert and is currently working to champion Semco Style within the UK market.
Thank You For Listening!
Leave an honest review on iTunes. Your ratings and
reviews really help, and we read each one.
Ask a question about this episode by emailing us