Is ROWE The Future of Flexible Working?
Season 6 / Episode 2
Make it Thrive: The Company Culture Podcast
Pre-COVID only 5% of the UK workforce worked remotely. Plus one in three flexible working requests were denied. Post-covid, it seems that now more businesses are waking up to the benefits of changing how we work. In this episode, I speak to Simon Chaplin from Greenstones Accountants about one of the most extreme forms of flexible working. Results only work environment. Together we dive into how this system has worked for Simon’s business for 10 years and enabled him to create the company culture he really wanted. We talk about the benefits to the ROWE system, how the team got on board with it, and some of the initial issues that came up when adopting ROWE.
In this episode we cover;
- What ROWE is, and how it works
- Why Simon chose ROWE for his business
- The benefits of adopting ROWE
- The soft skills that leaders need to focus on if they want to embed ROWE
- How the team adapted to ROWE
- The key considerations if any business wants to use a ROWE system
- How do you expect to achieve your business goals if your team don’t know them?
- All of a sudden the team have an invested interest in their own goals. The level of commitment went up when we adopted ROWE.
- People don’t challenge the accepted norms so they keep doing the same things.
- Don’t dictate to the team. Sit down and talk about it collaboratively.
Resources mentioned in this podcast;
Simon is the managing director of GreenStones Accountants in Peterborough and the Founder of The Accountants Mastermind. Back in 2009 Simon set the goal of extracting himself from his accountancy practice and allowing his team to work where and when they like. They have achieved that goal and he now only works 1 day a week at GreenStones, with the same team, higher sales and more profit!
Thank You For Listening!
Leave an honest review on iTunes. Your ratings and
reviews really help, and we read each one.
Ask a question about this episode by emailing us