Do Company Cultures Support Working Parents?
Season 2 / Episode 3
Make it Thrive: The Company Culture Podcast
On this episode of Make it Thrive: The Company Culture podcast I’m talking to Amy Bull Creative Content Manager at Media Matters. Today we’re diving into the topic of being a working parent, and whether organisations are doing enough to support parents in the workplace.
As so many of you listening are probably juggling the life of a parent and a career, I hope that this conversation today gives you some practical tips, and if you’ve heard anything that you’d love to comment on please do give us a tweet or send me an email.
In this episode we cover;
- The work-life juggle of parents.
- The gender-pay-gap.
- Returning to work after having a child.
- How company culture can support new parents and working parents.
- The benefit of flexible working in company culture.
- Going back to work after a child can also provide many benefits.
- More companies need to consider family-friendly workplace policies.
- Employees should speak-up when they are struggling as they can make a change and influence a companies culture.
- Sometimes having a child can force you to create that work-life balance.
- Companies must stop treating parents resentfully when taking time off to care for a child.
Resources mentioned in this podcast;
- A report from the Equality and Human Rights Commission found that 54,000 women a year are forced out of work after having a baby. Report.
- In the 2018 Working Parents Index, it was found that a third of parents said they felt burnout all or most of the time.
- Six Types of Flexible Working Practices – Guide.