Making The Small Stuff Count
Season 1 / Episode 3
Make it Thrive: The Company Culture Podcast
In this episode of Make it Thrive: The Company Culture Podcast, I talk to Zoe Whitman, Founder of bookkeeping practice, But the Books. Zoe shares her experience in the financial sector. We discuss the pitfalls of company culture in the financial sector, and how she’s using her previous experiences to navigate her own company’s culture. We talk about flexible working, and the trust factor.
In this episode we cover;
- The traditional culture in the financial sector.
- The limits a company culture can put on employees.
- Moving away from a traditional culture.
- Creating your own company culture in a startup.
- The role of trust in establishing a company culture.
- It’s difficult to work in a traditional corporate culture when there are many restrictions.
- On-boarding in many company cultures is still a poor process.
- The impact of rigid cultures on family life and those wishing to start a family.
- Despite flexible working being a possibility few organisations provide the opportunity.
- Trust and autonomy has enabled growth for a small financial company.
Great Quotes from this Podcast;
Zoe Whitman, is Founder of bookkeeping practice But the Books. Zoe has 16+ years’ industry experience from accountancy roles in large organisations in the South West and Wales. When she’s not busy helping clients improve their cash flow, Zoe’s likely to be brushing up on her German language skills. Zoe has also recently published a book Know Your Numbers.